After doing your first workout and if you haven’t done any exercise before or in a little while your body will feel stiff and sore!
Without going into it too much but it is caused by Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness (DOMS). Generally this peaks at the 48 hour mark and can occur anywhere in the body that has recently been exposed to unfamiliar or intense physical activity.
Ways to ease the pain:
– Keep moving, go for a walk and get the body moving. After the warmup in second workout you will feel a lot better. The worst thing you can do is sit around and do nothing
– Keep hydrated. We need to be constantly drinking water throughout the day, at least 2 litres.
– Foam Rolling and mobility exercises.
– Epsom salts bath..a lot of people do this to reduce the inflammation and lactic acid in muscles
– Taking supplements..the likes of Spirulina tablets or drink can aid recovery and prevent muscle soreness. Magnesium spray and also BCAA drinks while exercising work too. And remember we need to be eating a form of protein with every meal.
If anyone has some tips that have worked for them please feel free to share.